The steps documented here are for Blogger but you can follow this procedure with any blog platform. All you need to be able to do is to be able to insert a couple of lines of HTML in to your blog. This procedure assumes you already have an OpenID. I have been using my AOL Instant Messenger account as my OpenID. If you have an AIM account then you are one of 62 million screennames with an OpenID.
Okay, here we go:
- Login to Blogger and access your blog dashboard.
- If you have more than one blog pick the one you want and select the Layout option.
- In layout mode choose the Edit HTML option.
- Look near the top of your template
- For an AOL AIM OpenID use the following snippet of code, just be careful not to embed this in one of the many comment sections of the Template:
- Save your template.
/* Add OpenID Support to Blogger using AIM */ <link rel="openid.server" href="https://api.screenname.aol.com/auth/openidServer" > <link rel="openid.delegate" href="http://openid.aol.com/YourAIMScreenNameGoesHere" > /* End of Add OpenID Support to Blogger using AIM */
Go to a site that accepts OpenID.
Use your blog address as your OpenID. You should be taken to the AIM Screenname sign in.
That's all there is to it. Your blog is now your userid and password! One less URL to remember.