Thursday, September 10, 2009

Snow Leopard - Rough around the Microsoft Edges?

I have upgraded to Snow Leopard and after solving some of the glitches it has been running nicely. Then I added the Exchange integration. That has done a great job of slowing Address Book, Mail and iCal down to a crawl again.

I have also been using Word and Excel and find that they crash more frequently under Snow Leopard. I tried printing to PDF from word and kaboom!

Has anybody else been experiencing weirdness?

Certainly the Exchange integration is a cool feature and very, very easy to setup but that 64-bit speediness suddenly seems to lose at least 32 bits of speed. I suspect Apple have some work ahead in refining their Exchange support.

Today Apple released the inevitable software Update for Snow Leopard. It seems to fix some of the strangeness, such as the problems connecting to SMTP servers. It will be interesting to see if any other niggles are resolved.