- Where we were
- Where NPPES is going
10 digit number
Type 1 = Individuals
Type 2 = Organizations
Organizations can have multiple NPIs
26K new per month
NPPES was a number generator
2016 industry sees NPPES as a directory.
- NPPES not designed as a directory
- Adopt best-practices from consumer web sites.
- Use Federal design standards
- Increase the relevance
- Align and integrate with other programs
- increase integrity (consistency, freshness, valid, recertification) – Role in Fraud Prevention
- Alan Viars – EIR
- New Public Search
- Open Source
- Modern Technologies
In 2015 launched real-tim NPPES Search.
In 2016 deliver a new provider experience:
– Modern look
– Easier screens
– Clearer Expectations
– Surrogacy (for organization administrators)
– more optional identifiers – including Direct Addresses
– Data and reporting
In 2017 – more improvements:
– Integrity (anti-fraud measures, cross-referencing)
– Enforcement and NPI Deactivation
– Notify discrepancies via email
Look at Data input to NPPES via API
- Looking to how to disclose group affiliations without disclosing Tax ID.
Will be adding in multiple practice locations and enabling a default
NPI Final rule dictates what information is maintained.
Provider has to confirm the information.
Presenter: Richard Gilbert, CMS – CPI
via WordPress http://2.healthca.mp/25JfqL0