Evolution of Provider Directories – What we learned and where we are going
In the beginning:
- Lots of confusion. Four different standards and profiles.
- These got standardized to HDP.
Throwing all data in to Provider Directory – It doesn’t work
- Don’t buy commercial data
Provider directory is not an end in itself.
Started to wrap directory in a REST API. (They use Salesforce).
Added FHIR APIs
Used in the CMS Code-a-thon this past weekend (http://2.healthca.mp/1P4WhH9)
Provider Directory Services used for:
- Care Coordination
- Quality Measurement
- HelpDesk Use Cases
- Patient Provider Attribution (Part of Care Coordination
- Siloed Directories will not make it
- National Provider Directory capability will emerge.
- A Standard API is required
MiHIN is using NPPES 3.0 API.
MiHIN uses current FHIR Resources in Statewide Consumer Directory (SCD).
Providers, Organizations, Affiliations
No longer a phonebook but rather an indexed routing table.
-You need to include all CAREGIVERs. Not just NPI Holders.
- Different Directories for Different Goals
- CMS / DirectTrust / CAQH / States / Others
The common thread is Alternative Payment Models.
Presenter: Jeff Livesay
via WordPress http://2.healthca.mp/1SNkbvM