@benatdna recounting his experience in the health care factory in 1999. but is here to talk about the internal resistance to change.
A healthcare marketer's challenge is that:
- everybody is doing Social Media.
- Everybody needs to innovate.
- There are too many ideas and they aren't connected.
- the FDA has no guidelines (yet!)
- We can't measure ROI
- Physicians hate it
- Our customers are old and don't use it.
It took 6 months to get a film on YouTube. But the video was dominated by safety information. Not attractive to viewers.
The learning curve:
- Get to know the audience.
- Be credible
- Engage - dialogs are two-way
Cystic Fibrosis patients get each other sick so they spend a lot of time in online communities.
Genentech focused on providing credible education.
Social Media like a facebook page may have just a few likes but the reach can be extensive.
Innovation for sake of innovation fails. Things need to be connected.