I had to skip out of the #NASAHealth Workshop to do a demo for DC Health. However, I made it back for Nate Gross's presentation.
Nate is from Doximity and Rock Health: http://nategross.com/
60+ digital Health Startups received at least $2M VC funding in 2011.
HealthCare and Education are the next industries facing fundamental software-based transformation.
Foundations are getting in to funding of startups.
Rock Health was the first incubator focused on Digital Health and Mobile Health - a Non-Profit.
- Allay Investor hesitation
- Make Healthcare Sexy
- Bring Stakeholders together
This is not your parent's Health IT.
How it works:
- $20K grant, Zero Equity
- Free Office space in Downtown San Francisco
- Weekly speakers on entrepreneurship, healthcare policy and technology.
- User-centered design instruction series by Cooper
- Office hours with investors
Big emphasis on general technology.
"Go Mobile First"
41 Startups in Rock Health (current and alumni)
- Cardiio (use iphone camera to detect pulse through detection of blood pulsing through your forehead)
Rock Health is open sourcing some of their curriculum. Check out rockhealth.com
Instagram had a valuation of $33/User. This can be good for Health Care when the end user is a Doctor earning $100,000+ per year.
Research for Financial Services: Baby Boomers are the fastest adopting users of smartphones and tablets